We are looking for women to participate in a 4 month research study on hot flushes and blood vessel function. We are comparing natural progesterone (Prometrium®) with a placebo (dummy pill). You will keep a daily record of hot flushes during these four months. The study includes four office visits, with two assessments of your blood vessel function. This study is independently funded. Prometrium® and placebo provided by Schering Canada.
To participate, you must:
- Be past menopause (1-10 years since your last menstrual period)
- Currently experience hot flushes and/or night sweats
- Have no heart disease or history of heart disease
- Have no risk factors for heart disease (e.g. smoker, very overweight)
- Have taken no estrogen, progesterone or birth control pills within 6 months.
You will receive:
- Study medication or placebo
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Cholesterol and diabetes test results.
Study by UBC Endocrinologist Dr. Jerilynn Prior. For more information, contact:
Christine Hitchcock, PhD
phone: (604) 875-5917